links




Monday, February 22, 2010

A Musical Adventure

I love music, and one of my favorite things is to discover new and amazing artists.  The thing is, finding music isn't exactly an activity I can schedule into my planner; I always somehow seem to stumble upon a song, fall in love a few days later, and then download some more of the artists' music.  After such a discovery, I always feel fulfilled (and quite proud of myself), and I thought I would share some discoveries that blew my mind this morning.

Today I was in a rather quiet mood, and set my iPod to create a genius playlist from the song "Handle With Care" by Jenny Lewis, M. Ward, Ben Gibbard, and Conor Oberst, all of whom fall into my top list of favorite artists.  This playlist was, indeed, epic, and contained some songs I had forgotten were even in my iTunes library, including one particularly fantastic musical delight, "Train Song" by Feist and Ben Gibbard.  After listening to Train Song over and over (and over and over), I decided to look on YouTube for any live versions of the song, and lo and behold, I discovered that "Train Song" was actually a remake of a song released by Vashti Bunyan in 1966.  After listening to the original, I fell even more in love with Train song, and the uniqueness of each version.  After doing a bit of listening to Vashti, I tried to look up "Handle With Care," and was surprised to find that Jenny Lewis was not, in fact, the originator of the song.  The original was by a group called the Traveling Wilburys, a history-making conglomeration of George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison, and Tom Petty.  I will sheepishly admit that I had no idea that this group existed before I read their wikipedia article, and I encourage everyone to check out all of the versions of the above songs.  I always love discovering the layers and facets behind songs, artists, albums, and lyrics.

Enjoy!








No comments: