links




Sunday, February 20, 2011

Utility vs. Impracticality

This morning I saw the following video on Etsy's blog and was amazed.





I love to admire knitting from around the world and the ways it is implemented, and the life and endeavors of Lynn Garrett (who goes by the name Biscuit Scout as a designer, after her cat, I imagine) address a question I had been struggling with since my Valentine's Day post.  Why do knitters spend so much time, money, and effort creating seemingly useless objects?

Garrett cites her 'art school days'- she explains that she is "trying to find the creativity I had when I was an art student, because then it's pure creativity that comes from inside you, and it is starting to come out, so I find that very exciting."

I have to admit, Lynn Garrett's lifestyle; waking up, making tea, and climbing back into bed with her cat and her knitting, seems like a dream come true to me.  She has found a way to take a creative passion and apply it in a way that supports her leisurely life in the country.

Perhaps for hundreds of thousands of knitters around the world knitting serves the same purpose as it does for Lynn Garrett- a creative outlet.  Even if their knitting serves no evident purpose, the created object, like the aran-knit 'sweater chair' Scout created, is comfortable and soft and an expression of inner creativity which delights the artist.  Perhaps those feelings alone are enough justification for the knitter.

No comments: